Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Influential Teacher

There are not too many teachers that have really impacted me, but there is definitely one guy in this district that has changed my high school life in a huge way. That man would be Mr. MacCowan. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be working out as much as I do to this day. Way back in 9th grade, somebody pointed out that I was putting up impressive numbers, and he confronted me in the hallway asking me if it was true. After I agreed, he was quick to tell me that the weight room was open three days out of the week every week, and that he was there every day. The first day I went there, I obviously wasn’t as strong as most of the kids in there, but those kids were definitely there to help me whenever I needed some motivation or something as simple as a spotter. Working out is one of my favorite parts of going to school, because when I am done with a workout, it always feels good to know that I accomplished something that day. Not only does it make me feel better physically, but also keeps me in check emotionally. Some of the kids I work out with have definitely made some memories with myself, and I have made some great relationships with them. They motivate me and help me put up bigger numbers than I ever even imagined on doing. Now that I am a senior, it gives me the opportunity to the kids that are starting to work out. I was in the same position they were in, so I know exactly what they need to get their head on straight and make sure that they are working out correctly and getting the right forms. They are there for me as well, especially when I don’t think I can handle a certain weight and I need a spotter. If it wasn’t for Mr. MacCowan, high school would definitely not be as enjoyable as it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment